WHO WE ARE
Communities on the margins of opportunity deserve a trusted partner on their journey towards financial growth and stability. As a locally invested, collaborative partner in social justice and financial equity, Community Vision provides nonprofits, small businesses, and social enterprises with strategic investment and guidance, to deepen work, scale impact, and strengthen our communities.
We know that supporting community-owned and community-governed projects creates shared prosperity and builds collective, and self-directed, economic and political power. This position will put you at the forefront of exciting organizational growth and the re-envisioning of how we carry out our work; creating greater efficiency internally and deeper impact externally.
Community Vision is dedicated to anti-racist practices and to building an anti-racist organization. This includes treating colleagues with respect, supporting the vision of the organization, and acting as ambassadors of our values.
The Director of Lending is responsible for leading Community Vision’s Loan Originations and Lending Operations teams. Community Vision’s lending team provides loans and New Markets Tax Credit financing, with an emphasis on achieving greater racial and economic equity. Our borrowers have made use of our financing to develop affordable housing, build, and acquire community facilities, create economic development projects, support access to healthy food, and strengthen their operations in order to make a difference in the lives of the people living in the communities that they serve.
The Director of Lending is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing the Lending Department’s operations including but not limited to: innovation, production planning, and workflow analysis. The Director of Lending will provide working knowledge on end-to-end processes in order to direct the daily operations of Capital Solutions. This position will also analyze and recommend changes to procedures to enhance business unit and product-related activities, using best business practices and precedents to resolve efficiency and operational problems for business lines, projects, product lines, etc. The Director of Lending will ensure conformity to organizational policy and is responsible for compliance with any regulatory laws and reporting requirements for all channels.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Develops annual business strategy for lending activities along with the VP of Capital Solutions in accordance with Community Vision’s Strategic Plan.
- Creates annual lending performance and impact goals, balancing community outcomes, geographic priorities, portfolio risk, and net revenue targets.
- Supervise the work of the Loan Originations and Operations teams which include, developing annual staffing plans, recruiting, supporting the development of annual performance goals and work plans, providing regular feedback and supporting career planning and development of staff.
- Leads the lending budgeting process, in collaboration with the VP of Capital Solutions and the CFO, ensuring the lending department meets its annual gross and net revenue goals.
- Establishes and manages appropriate procedures, guidelines and policies to ensure efficient lending department activities that meet internal requirements.
- Responsible for Community Vision meeting its loan production ($ and #) goals, leading the management of lending origination processes.
- Determine loan pricing (interest and fees) and policies, balancing loan risk and impact, in order to achieve organizational impact and financial objectives.
- Manages the loan underwriting process which includes; reviewing triage and credit memos, and providing feedback to loan underwriters on loan structure, risk, pricing, and terms.
- Coordinates with Credit Officer and Loan Officers to screen loan inquiries, approving invitations to apply and managing the application workflow, loan terms and approvals.
- Individually approves delegated loans and supports Loan Officers through the approval process.
- Manages creation and sharing of regular reports related to Loan Originations, ensuring the preparation of monthly pipeline reports for internal staff, loan committee and the board.
- Maintain the quality control of the departmental systems (Salesforce, TEA, Sageworks) and ensure data integrity is maintained throughout the life cycle of the loans.
- Manage effective internal client relationships to provide a high level of service based on a culture of quality, timely, innovative and flexible service focused on meeting or exceeding customer expectations.
- Establish clear guidelines and procedures to ensure process adherence to accounting, servicing, and other overall Lending controls and policies.
- Assess the department workflow to ensure the timely and accurate delivery of all loan documentation and servicing provided for the benefit of Borrowers and/or external parties (i.e. Participants, Co-Lenders, Investors, etc.).
- Create and implement strategies with other Community Vision leaders to maintain collaboration across departments, programs, etc.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 7 + years of direct lending experience with demonstrated skills in small business, and community lending and development.
- 5+ years managing and motivating a team required.
- Extensive experience with underwriting and credit analysis.
- Extensive experience with financial modeling, measurement, analysis and risk evaluation.
- Must demonstrate a high level of attention to detail with strong judgment and decision-making abilities.
- Managed department budgets, projects, and timelines, triaging and balancing competing priorities.
- A strategic and flexible thinker, able to partner with other leaders in the organization.
- Prior CDFI experience preferred.
- Experience in non profit or small office environment a plus.
- Solid knowledge of accounting practices with an ability to understand financial statements and loan documentation required.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills with the ability to work with a diverse population required.
- Enthusiasm, entrepreneurial spirit, and a passionate commitment to work in community development and the nonprofit sector.
- Understanding of issues of economic and racial equity in the community development field.
MORE ABOUT THE POSITION
The Director of Lending is a full-time exempt position. This position reports to the Vice President of Capital Solutions. The salary for this position is between $140,000 – $170,000 annually, depending on experience. Benefits include: 100% health insurance premium coverage for employees and a contribution towards dependent coverage, dental insurance, long-term disability and life insurance, transportation and cell phone subsidies, employer contributions towards retirement savings, three weeks’ vacation, and a commitment to work/life balance. Occasional evenings and out of area travel may be necessary. The position involves regular computer and telephone use plus some minimal lifting. The position can be based at either of Community Vision’s offices in San Francisco or Oakland. All staff are working remotely until further notice.
Send resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line should read: Director of Lending. Cover letters should discuss your interest in the position and in working at Community Vision. Position will remain open until filled.
Click here to download a PDF of this job description.
Community Vision is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing applicants and employees with a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Community Vision are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations where we operate. Community Vision will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics and encourages applicants with these characteristics to apply.