WHO WE ARE
Communities on the margins of opportunity deserve a trusted partner on their journey towards financial growth and stability. As a locally invested, collaborative partner in social justice and financial equity, Community Vision provides nonprofits, small businesses, and social enterprises with strategic investment and guidance, to deepen work, scale impact, and strengthen our communities.
We know that supporting community-owned and community-governed projects creates shared prosperity and builds collective, and self-directed, economic and political power. This position will put you at the forefront of exciting organizational growth and the re-envisioning of how we carry out our work; creating greater efficiency internally and deeper impact externally.
Community Vision is dedicated to anti-racist practices and to building an anti-racist organization. This includes treating colleagues with respect, supporting the vision of the organization, and acting as ambassadors of our values.
The Vice President of Real Estate Solutions is a newly created position that leads Community Vision’s consulting and capital regranting services, building racial and economic equity and security of place across California by supporting and delivering community-led real estate strategies. The Real Estate Solutions department’s innovative technical assistance programs provide expert consultations and training in commercial real estate and related financial management, ensuring communities are anchored with the programs and services they need. The department also manages our capital re-granting programs, that channel funds from government and private philanthropy into real estate projects.
The Vice President of Real Estate Solutions will be responsible for overall direction and success of the department. Community Vision is poised to grow. A priority for the position will be development and implementation of a plan to sustainably grow and diversify the real estate practice to further advance community ownership of community assets.
The position oversees a department that delivers early and intermediate stage real estate training and advising to nonprofit organizations as well as capital grantmaking and nonprofit financial management advising. This position requires a collaborative leadership style, the ability to guide an active and engaged team, and a commitment to promoting professional development and leadership opportunities, as well as the ability to work effectively in partnership across departments/with our broader staff. Knowledge of real estate development is required. The Vice President Real Estate Solutions is a member of Community Vision’s Executive Team and reports to, and works closely with, the organization’s President.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Provide strategic direction and leadership for Community Vision’s real estate and financial management advising and capital grantmaking in pursuit of the organization’s mission; ensure that the Real Estate Solutions department grows its services and activities in a manner that is rigorous, high impact, aligned with community priorities, and sustainable.
- Drive strategic growth by developing and implementing new business lines, initiatives and/or program offerings that respond to community needs, compliment Community Vision’s existing programs and products, are financially sustainable, and have clear metrics for success.
- Provide strategic guidance and input on fundraising and marketing efforts related to Real Estate Solutions products, programs, and initiatives.
- Work with the VP of Capital Solutions and other department heads to integrate and align program activities and develop opportunities for cross-department collaboration.
- Guide department planning and budgeting with an eye toward sustainability, transparency, and accountability.
- Oversee all program delivery, ensure we provide rigorous, high quality consulting and grantmaking services, and meet all of contracted deliverables and reporting requirements.
- Collaborate with Community Vision’s impact team to ensure on-going, data-driven impact measurement and accountability.
- Advance Community Vision’s commitment to racial equity and economic justice through a restorative and community- and client-centered approach to client acquisition, services, new business lines, and grantmaking practices.
- Provide support and direction to department managers and staff by serving as a thought partner and resource, nurturing learning and continuous development, and supporting opportunities for staff leadership.
- Establish and guide a department accountability framework that incorporates goal setting, feedback loops, generative debriefs, and opportunities for iteration and course correction.
- Act as a subject matter expert to build the organization’s reputation as a trusted community real estate advisor and thought leader, by participating in conferences, panels and other public speaking opportunities, and developing written materials such as blog posts and white papers.
- Foster a department culture that values collaboration and inclusivity, high performance, problem solving, excellent client services, learning, and innovation.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Extensive (7+ years) experience in real estate development or analysis, economic or community development, real estate consulting, or construction management with increasing responsibility, management, and supervisory roles.
- Prior experience managing staff and managing a department of highly engaged, independent professionals.
- Prior experience managing $1M+ government contracts and/or philanthropic grants and associated reports and deliverables. Experience with regranting for capital projects is a plus.
- Experience cultivating and maintaining a diverse set of relationships. Experience working with philanthropy and government agencies is a plus.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of real estate development principles, practices, and terminology. Having fully developed projects in the past is a plus.
- Understanding of community real estate financing like New Market Tax Credits (NMTCs), Historic Tax Credits (HTC), and Program Related Investments (PRIs).
- Experience or expertise on issues of racial and economic equity and the intersection of social justice and community economic development is highly preferred.
- Dedication to a collaborative approach to work and management with respect for others’ concerns.
- An entrepreneurial spirit that puts clients and communities first.
- Exhibit resilience, problem-solving solutions, and results-driven capabilities.
- Strong writing, speaking, and presentation skills.
- Understanding of advanced business planning and growth strategies.
- Experience living, working, or organizing in the communities we serve – especially areas outside of the Bay Area; Central Valley knowledge is especially desirable.
MORE ABOUT THE POSITION
The Vice President of Real Estate Solutions is a full-time exempt position. This position reports to the President of Community Vision. The salary for this position is between $170,000 – $210,000 annually, depending on experience and if outside of the Bay Area salary will be adjusted based on cost of living of the region. Benefits include: 100% health insurance premium coverage for employees and a contribution towards dependent coverage, dental insurance, long-term disability and life insurance, transportation and cell phone subsidies, employer contributions towards retirement savings, three weeks’ vacation, and a commitment to work/life balance. Occasional evenings and out of area travel may be necessary. Position involves regular computer and telephone use plus some minimal lifting. The position can be based at either of Community Vision’s offices in San Francisco or Oakland. All staff are working remotely until further notice.
Send resume and cover letter via email to email@example.com. Subject line should read: Vice President of Real Estate Solutions. Cover letters should discuss your interest in the position and in working at Community Vision. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.
Click here to download a PDF of this job description.
Community Vision is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing applicants and employees with a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Community Vision are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations where we operate. Community Vision will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics and encourages applicants with these characteristics to apply.