San Francisco / Oakland
WHO WE ARE
Communities on the margins of opportunity deserve a trusted partner on their journey towards financial growth and stability. As a locally invested, collaborative partner in social justice and financial equity, Community Vision provides nonprofits, small businesses, and social enterprises with strategic investment and guidance, to deepen work, scale impact, and strengthen our communities.
We know that supporting community-owned and community-governed projects creates shared prosperity and builds collective, and self-directed, economic, and political power. This position will put you at the forefront of exciting organizational growth and the re-envisioning of how we carry out our work, creating greater efficiency internally and deeper impact externally.
Community Vision is dedicated to anti-racist practices and to building an anti-racist organization. This includes treating colleagues with respect, supporting the vision of the organization, and acting as ambassadors of our values.
The Development Associate plays an important role in ensuring Community Vision’s yearly fundraising goals are met. As part of a collaborative team that manages fundraising, communications, marketing, and investments, the Development Associate contributes to individual and institutional fundraising strategies. The Development Associate is responsible for writing, securing, and reporting on grant awards; performing prospect research; tracking donor communications; and ensuring accurate recordkeeping in Salesforce, among other duties. The position is expected to successfully work independently and collaboratively to support the full range of department functions.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Work with the VP of External Relations and Sr. Development Associate to identify, cultivate, and solicit foundation and corporate contributions, including event sponsorships.
- Conduct the full range of activities required to prepare, submit, and manage grant proposals to foundations, corporations, and government entities.
- Manage multi-step processing of grant agreements, payments, proposal and reports, including facilitating timely approval, signature, and submission of agreements, generating acknowledgment letters, and maintaining electronic files.
- Generate monthly status reports to the VP of External Relations and Sr. Development Associate and other fundraising reports as needed.
- In coordination with the Sr. Development Associate, contribute to the development and implementation of strategic grant-seeking plans for current and new projects and initiatives.
- Prepare and submit grant applications and reports within deadlines. Including, but not limited to:
- Gather information for grant applications and reports and ensure that relevant staff develop program goals and target outcomes; put in place methods for tracking outcomes and refine budgets for optimal presentation to funders.
- Compile supporting information related to specific grant applications from outside sources as needed.
- Attend briefings related to specific grants.
- Work with the VP of External Relations and Sr. Development Associate to maintain relationships with individual donors and to solicit new contributions.
- Contribute to establishing the organization’s individual giving strategies.
- Support the development and implementation of the organization’s individual and planned giving programs.
- Collaborate with the External Relations team to plan and produce Community Vision events, including annual fundraising events, investor and donor engagement events, workshops, etc.
- In coordination with the VP of External Relations and Sr. Development Associate, support solicitation of corporate and individual sponsorships for Community Vision’s large (250+) annual event.
- Performs other duties as required.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- BA or BS degree with a minimum of 5+ years’ grant writing experience, preferably in the nonprofit or for-profit sector.
- Excellent written communication skills; ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive narratives.
- Experience in resource development and fundraising.
- A proven track record of fundraising from foundations, corporations, and government entities.
- A high degree of professionalism, demonstrating accuracy, timeliness, and teamwork.
- Knowledge of a variety of fundraising techniques and strategies.
- The ability to work independently and collaboratively in a dynamic environment.
- Experience and familiarity with Salesforce preferred.
- Possesses an interest in community development and an enthusiasm for Community Vision’s mission and work.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple projects with competing deadlines.
- Discretion and confidentiality with all matters.
MORE ABOUT THE POSITION
The Development Associate is a full-time exempt position. This position reports to the VP of External Relations. The salary for this position is between $65,000 – $80,000 annually, depending on experience. Benefits include: 100% health insurance premium coverage for employees and a contribution towards dependent coverage, dental insurance, long-term disability and life insurance, transportation and cell phone subsidies, employer contributions towards retirement savings, three weeks’ vacation, and a commitment to work/life balance. Occasional evenings and out of area travel may be necessary. Position involves regular computer and telephone use plus some minimal lifting. The position is a hybrid that can be based at either of Community Vision’s offices in San Francisco or Oakland.